Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Privy...

sketch by Sherryl Guthrie Miller
"The lot was at least 200 X 300 feet. Room for a garden, orchard, barn with cows, and a vinyard. Grandma loved grapes. The garage was in the far corner on past the pump. There was a dugout log kept pumped full of cold water for the crocks of mild and butter. Then out in the little orchard was the privy (or out-house), a cape jasmine grew right by the door.
Once I hid out in the privy when Grandma's grandson, Webb Varner, was over for a visit. He had an eye on me and I did not care for him. Grandma sent for me, and even came for me, but I stuck it out till he left..
I thought of that cape Jasmine bush when I was a student nurse. I was going to a dance with a poor old medical student that I had met in Forrest Park. He sent me a corsage of gardenias. I was crushed. My Word! We had this old bush I remembered so well. I had wished for carnations."

No comments:

Post a Comment